The EAL’s Mission is to fight wildlife crime through Concrete, Innovative and Collaborative projects. These are the most important changes we are aiming at and for which we are constantly working for:
- Improved national and international regulations on wildlife crime, with stiffer punishments;
- Local and international laws more and better enforced, with more high-level poachers, traffickers and facilitators identified, caught and jailed, including corrupt government officials; Corruption is the REAL ENEMY.
- An indefinite ban on the international and domestic ivory trade;
- A better assessment of the tragic situation on the ground regarding widlife poaching and the collateral dramas, including the human toll, with people getting killed and abused, poor villagers getting exploited and lured into crime, authorities getting corrupted and widows and orphans remaining behind this bloody criminal chain;
- Much stronger and targeted communication and awareness campaigns;
EAL pays particular attention in not duplicating the good work already done by numerous other organizations/NGOs and in not overlapping with their activities. On the contrary EAL is trying to engage other selected organizations, support their important work when possible and leverage their precious experience, in order to create a common framework and to produce a more coherent and powerful global message about elephant & wildlife exploitation and the crucial importance of fighting wildlife crime. Photo credit: Elephant Action League